[rescue] DLT tape drives and librarys

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sun Mar 14 19:46:22 CST 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 07:57 pm, Paul Hortiatis wrote:
> Sory for replying to my own post, but i finaly found a disscussion in the
> archives about the loader only markings, don't know why i couldn't find it
> befor.

I don't have experience with your unit.  One of the discussions you may be
referring to was one initiated by me with regard to my DEC library and
upgrading to a DLT 4000 drive.  Mine's a standalone-only drive with the
firmware upgrade that lets it talk to a library.  The handle isn't
necessarily an issue -- there's usually a spindle for the robotics even on
drives with a handle.  But this all may be a repeat for you.

Anyway, I would try removing the drive from the chassis and make sure it works
standalone, perhaps connected to an internal SCSI bus.  Once you verify that
the drive talks to the bus and can do some simple reads/writes, I would
upgrade the firmware and put it back in the library and do some more
troubleshooting.

Where did you get the unit from?  Any idea if _this_ drive was working in
_this_ unit?  I wonder if the previous owner sold it because they put a
"standalone only" drive in it and couldnt' get it to work...

-E.