[rescue] A perverse thought (SGI security division)

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Thu Mar 11 15:49:07 CST 2004

How about just changing the port of ssh to something high up where
scriptkiddies wont look.
All this is good and fine but why even bother getting a scriptkiddie
mad? What if they unwrap
thir full extend of DDos machines they have in their arsenal onto your IP?

Then again I run sshd on my home machine on cable since a while now and
I get those scans
all the time. I just keep my ssh up to date. If you can not keep that
ssh up to date why not
put up some freebsd machine that you can keep ssh up to date, then just
ssh into that machine
and from there you can access all your other machines on the internal lan?

There are allready firewalls that will actually analyze the traffic and
if there is an attack going on
to for example port 80 then they will divert that traffic to a honeypot
machine. So all the legit
traffic goes to the legit webserver, and once an machine tries to attack
that machine the traffic
get's diverted to a honeypot.   http://violating.us/projects/baitnswitch/

-- Thomas