[rescue] Re: Mac diagnosis

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Mar 10 01:17:43 CST 2004

Some folks said:

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:29:52AM -0500, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
On Mar 10, 2004, at 12:04 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
Should a PCI Mac be able to use just any PCI video card?  If so, I have
a number of spares around of various types (a couple of S3 Trio64Vs
and a Matrox Millennium II).

Does the mac have a KUDA button on the mainboard? Try that one too. I
had some issues with an older mac with a g3 upgrade and I had to use the
kuda button to get it going.

KUDA button?  What's that?  I've never heard of it.

------------------<end quote>--------------------

Was the Mac system in sleep mode when the power went off?

The button they are talking about isn't actually called the CUDA anymore, but
is now generally known as the PMU (Power Management Unit) reset button. If
you go to apple.com and do a search in the Knowledge Base for the word
'PMU' you will eventually get to a page that tells you where the button is
located on your particular model and gives detailed instructions on how to do
a reset. From memory, it generally involves unplugging things like displays -
as among other things, the PMU controls the screen brightness. I suggest that
you print the page and follow its directions carefully.

The only time I've used the PMU reset was after the power failed in my office
while my dual G4 MDD was in sleep mode. In that case, the system wouldn't
start at all - it would just flash the power-button light when I pressed it.

Regards,

Gavin