[rescue] Replacing battery on a Sun 3/60

Per Sandstrom psand at mac.com
Tue Mar 9 13:51:28 CST 2004

I'm trying to resurrect an old Sun 3/60 that has been sleeping for at
least five years, perhaps ten. Looking at the CPU mainboard, I see a
3V lithium battery that more or less asks to be replaced.

However, the Hardware Installation Manual for the 3/60 clearly states
that "This battery is NOT a customer replaceable part". Why? Will it
explode in my hands? What does it power? Is it only for the real time
clock, or will I loose any settings in the IDPROM if a take the
battery out?

Per