[rescue] SGI Crimsons and Challenge L found a new home

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Mon Mar 8 16:22:19 CST 2004

Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

>Hello Francois,
>
>Monday, March 8, 2004, 7:25:07 PM, you wrote:
>

>>I will need a few parts to get the Crimsons up and running. In
>>particular, I need 50 pin SCSI drives. What is the largest drive I can
>>use?
>>

>  I don't know what the largest successfully used drive is, I am using
>  4 GB full height 5.25" drives made by Seagate in my Crimson. Given
>  that you are limited to IRIX 6.2 (or maybe 5.3) 4 GB is more than
>  enough in my case. I guess at least using XFS you won't have
>  problems going to even larger disks than that.

There are 2 half height and 2 full height 5.25" bays on my unit. I was
thinking OS on 2 and my stuff on the other 2 drives. Is there any
particular strategy as far as partitioning/spindles that make these
things go faster? I'm going to be compiling/running opengl stuff on them
and probably set up a stereoscopic setup. I'll have to pull the
(modified for serial port) Mattel Powerglove out of the mothballs.

>>I'd love to get my hands on CDROM drives for these also,
>>but I understand that they are extremely rare.
>>

>  Using a recent CD-ROM shouldn't be a problem with either of your
>  machines - Crimson or Challenge. For the Crimson it *might* be
>  necessary that you are able to select the blocksize on the drive.

Where do you install it? And how do you select blocksize?

>>Lastly, I need Irix 6.2. I have 6.5 but the Crimsons wont run anything
>>newer than 6.2.
>>

>  Or 5.3, if you happen to have a Crimson GTX.

It's a Crimson with a VGXT video. The label is actually "Server",
whereas this one on your web site says "Entry":
http://home.arcor.de/gerhard.lenerz/images/sgistuff/crimson-1300-front2.jpg

I dont know if it came with the VGXT card to begin with.

Francois