[rescue] SGI Crimsons and Challenge L found a new home

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Mar 8 12:51:57 CST 2004

On Mar 8, 2004, at 1:25 PM, Francois Dion wrote:

> Lastly, I need Irix 6.2. I have 6.5 but the Crimsons wont run anything
> newer than 6.2.
>
> The Challenge L is mostly in need of some cosmetic pieces: one of the
> bottom side trim and the back panel were missing. I'd also would love
> to add another 4 cpu board to make it complete but at any rate it's
> ready to be put back in service.

You'll also need an IRIX 5.3 Install disk to fx your hard disks.  6.2
has a bug that won't allow you to do that.  It's pretty simple once you
have the 5.3... you fx your disk, reboot with 6.2, and the EFS will
automagically be converted to XFS once you answer the question at boot.

I have a set of 6.2 still I think.  I'll have to dig it out and image
it.  My Crimson was given a new home... though I haven't heard anything
about it since... Kevin?..

Andrew