[rescue] SGI fw_sshd and security

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Mar 5 13:18:42 CST 2004

All this is putting me in a mind of a minor prank I perpetrated some years
ago ...

Cast your minds back to the days before real Internet access, say 1984.
Dial-up was king, and every service was proprietary.  You could dial
CompuServe on one of their own nodes, but many other services used one or
the other of the national dial-up networks, Tymnet or TELENET.

In either case, the routine was the same, you'd dial in (with your
gen-u-wine Hayes 1200b modem) to the local [Tymnet|TELENET] node, get a
connection, supply your [Tymnet|TELENET] user name and password, then put in
the network address of the service you wanted to reach.  Once connected to
that service, you'd get whatever username/password stuff that service used,
then you were in.  Finally.

There weren't any directories of network addresses, but you found out about
some anyway.  People were known to just try things until they got something
they could identify....

So, we had an inbound Tymnet connection at Crosstalk, and it wasn't doing
anything, so I rigged it up to answer ....

	Bank of America
	Wire Transfers
	Enter source account and amount:

... Accept input, and return a random error message.

That's all it did, but it kept some people amused for hours....

-Shel