[rescue] SGI fw_sshd and security

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Mar 5 13:06:44 CST 2004

Gary Nichols says ...

> You should really run SSH on another port besides 22 and consider using
> shared keys on both sides along with password authentication.

How's the compatibility with various clients when you use other-than-22?  My
son and I might be using ...

	slackware linux on a PC
	WinXP on a PC (does it even have an ssh client?)
	Cygwin on Win2K on a PC

... as for the "shared keys" bit ... that would eliminate the possibility of
either of our using an "unknown" machine in some aort of emergency, no?

Of course, in a real emergency, I'd just call my neighbor and tell him to
pull the main breaker on the outside of the house.  I'd fsck the filesystems
and get the algae out of the hottub later.

-Shel