[rescue] SGI visual workstation question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Mar 5 10:51:30 CST 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:29:57AM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke said ...
> > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > > FWIW I do know that this is basically a glorified PC at heart, but I
> > > like to think that it is one of the more interesting/useful ones.
> >
> > It is an IA32 system.  However, it really isn't a PC.  It has Real
> > Firmware and a much nicer I/O architecture.  I certainly wouldn't mind
> > getting my hands on a fully-loaded (or even empty) 540 to replace the
> > whitebox PC I use for the very limited amount of 'doze stuff I get paid
> > to do.
>
> So ... if one had (a) a "stock" SGI 540 and (b) a "normal" Win2K disk, and
> applied #b to #a in a "normal" way, one would have a Win2K system that would
> run normal WinApps in a normal way?

No.  You need a special HAL, which I believe comes seperately on a
special Win2K disk.

Then it takes quite a bit more hacking to really get firewire support
working.

However, the machines are really nice for some things.  My understanding
is that glReadPixels is far, far faster on a 320 or better still 540
than any other Windows machine out there.

It also is reportedly unusually fast for photoshop.  Not sure I entirely
understand that one, but could be.

I wouldn't mind having a 540 myself.  I;'d be happier if more
applications supported it well.  From the sounds of it, the only program
that uses the special features in current versions is eyeon's Digital
Fusion and DFX+.  After Effects and Premiere used to especially support
these machines, but I take a dim view on those two programs.