[rescue] SGI fw_sshd and security

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Mar 5 10:35:54 CST 2004

So I'm doing something I don't do a lot, just sitting around, and my
cellphone beeps.  It's a text message from my SGI Challenge L:

 sshd[4484]: Did not receive identification string from 80.116.0.117

Hmmm.  The port is exposed to the internet so my son can use the machine,
but I have the sshd access restricted by username (using the "AllowUsers"
line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and that's the only port exposed.  I have
previously considered it secure.

I realize that the message above is just evidence of a probe, but, still, it
makes one think.

Is the current SunFreeware sshd secure enough?  Is the one in IRIX 6.5.20
any better?

-Shel

PS: 80.116.0.117 resolves to our best friends at interbusiness.it, so I'm
not bothering to complain about the probe.

--
Sheldon T. Hall
shel at cmhc.com
206-780-7971 (CMHC)