[rescue] RS/6000 250: LED 513 while booting AIX install CD?

Todd Carson tc+rescue at jc.dsl.telerama.com
Tue Mar 2 18:43:19 CST 2004

I got AIX 5.1 install media today for the RS/6000 model 250 I posted about earlier. Since it wouldn't boot off of my portable Panasonic CD-ROM, I took a suggestion from an earlier thread and put the CD-ROM from an SS5 (a Toshiba XM-5701B) into an external case.

It boots okay from the installation CD until it reaches 513 on the LED, where is seems to hang indefinitely. There is never any output to either a monitor or a serial console. According to the list of LED numbers, it's supposed to be loading files from the install media at this point, but it will sit for well over half an hour with no CD-ROM or hard disk activity.

Since this is the first time I've ever tried to install AIX, I don't know how long this stage ought to take on this machine, or if it's waiting for some kind of input. Can anyone enlighten me? Or if it is a problem as it seems, is there anything to try besides a different CD-ROM?