[rescue] forgive me father, for I have sinned

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Tue Mar 2 13:16:24 CST 2004

    Sheldon> David L Kindred (Dave) said ...

    >>> Bill Bradford wrote:
    Sheldon> [ he dumped an Auspex ]
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to be in the same boat soon with my Auspex NS5500.
    >>>
    >> Must be a trend.  We'll have an NS5000 (hand re-badged as an
    >> NS7000/500) and an NS7000/250 available shortly ourselves.

    Sheldon> Will it take bigger drives?  23 GB FH drives are all over
    Sheldon> eBay, and for cheap.

    Lionel> Too bad you can't shove some of those dirt-cheap 47 Gig 5
    Lionel> 1/4" UW HDs in these units...

    Joshua> Can't you upgrade it to higher capcity, smaller drives?

First, the older unit has a flaky power supply (may just be a fan, but
may not).  Second, the only application I have for a file server needs
to be supported, and needs its software to be up-to-date and supported
also.

As far as max drive size, I really don't know.  The older one currently
has a range of sizes up to 9G, the newer unit uses physically smaller
but logically larger drives.  It looks like everything is 50 pin
cabling, but I haven't disassembled the carriers in the newer unit to
confirm that.

If someone had multiples of the exact same model system to use for
spares, and was willing to run unsupported software you could probably
do something with these things.  But I think you could make a *bsd or
Linux box with many more times the horsepower and capacity for both less
money and certainly less power load.

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator