[rescue] sharing keyboard and mouse

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Mon Mar 1 18:59:39 CST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Mike Meredith wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 00:08:53 +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
>
> There's also x2x, although I've no idea how well it works.

It works quite well. For ex.,

'xhost <the "right" machine>'				(on "left" box)
'x2x -west -to <the "left" machine>:display_num'	(on "right" box)

Then take the mouse from the "right" box and keep moving past the left
hand side of the screen. Magically, you're suddenly driving the left
screen.

Your X copy buffer even works between displays. There are also programs
for OSX2x, and X2vnc. And yes, you can chain them together. xinerama
seemed to cause x2x to skip over screens, but it was still manageable.

x2x is quick and easy and can be found in binary form for just about
everything (& only needs to be on *one* side of the connection!), but I
found synergy is better if you have a latop that if sometimes connected to
your 2nd X system, sometimes not - the auto-discovery I want to say I
remember synergy having is nice.

I've been meaning to make some quicktime VR of spinning in the chair with
the mouse following OSX2x2x2xinerama2x2vnc across just as many different
architectures, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

x2x is by far one of my all-time favorite *nix apps.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst