[rescue] Proposed new mailing list rules & guidelines

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Jun 28 07:36:31 CDT 2004

(I hope I didn't miss the bus!)
Carl Friend asked:

>    What are the rules on "emoticons"?

   Given the atmosphere here in the last 90 days, I would think anything
that provides a more clear understanding of a writer's tone is a boon.
   :7)
   And Bill proposed:

> > * Corporate email rules and disclaimers will be ridiculed
> > based upon their length and amount of legal jargon.
>
> If someone is posting to the list from a "work" account he may
> not have any choice in the matter; that garbage gets added by the
> MTA/virus-scanner layer.

   ...And some of us have to use Outlook, so please limit the length and
quantity of catty remarks (a la "Outlook is buggy insecure crap") that
you write on signs and tape to its headers. It actually was funny the
first time I read it, but now it just eats display space and it's not
something I can change. :7(
   Other than that, "behave yourself" seems like a good GOlden Rule.
-wde
P.S. Thanks for keeping the lists up after this Spring's blowout, Bill.
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator