[rescue] Re: NS FIP 3.3 boot floppy images?

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun Jun 27 08:26:06 CDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 01:12:14AM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, James Rice wrote:
>
> I kinda figured the '040 with its memory interleaving, I/O ASIC, and
> better integration might at least keep up for non-CPU intensive stuff, or
> that maybe apps that make use of the DSP might seem zippier on the '040.
> But I've heard that the SPARC and HP performance really does leave the old
> CISCs behind... I'm just excited that n years after the fact I can try out
> one of each and see for myself. :-)

The 486 is faster, provided that you have a good video card, IIRC.
And the Wingine setup is good for NS.

> The sad thing is, this machine came from one of the very small number of
> shops in Portland that used NeXT machines extensively.  I was shocked when
> it booted Windows 95, but more surprised to find how many odd little
> changes or tweaks they'd made (possibly to get it to run Windows)...

The Wingine setup was sort of local-bus but really its own thing.
That could be part of it.

Did you get it from a law firm by chance?  I used to sell Nextstep
software, and recall dealing with a law firm in Portland.

--Patrick