[rescue] Looking for a new Switch, what should I pick up?

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Sat Jun 26 18:59:12 CDT 2004

Zach Lowry wrote:

> Hey everyone!
>
> I'm wanting a new, enterprise-grade switch for my house to replace
> the  little measly D-Link I have upstairs currently. I'd like it to be
> a  hoss, though, and support expansion in a rack-mountable
> form-factor.  I'd also like for it to support several media types via
> pluggable  expansion modules. Something like the higher end Cisco
> Catalyst series.  Also, it should be affordable to a College student.
> :) Oh, and 100BT is  ok, but I'd like to also be able to add 100FX and
> 1000 on Copper as  well, even if to only a couple of ports.
>
> I'm sure one of you out there know just what I need, or am I dreaming
> too big?

The Cisco I have at work has 16 ports or so and has 2 expansion slots.
It's a 2900 series XL.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca2900xl/index.shtml
They should go for fairly low price but if you want to get gbit upgrades
for them that will be pricy.

Then again I used to have a Bay Networks Accelar 1200. There are a few
on ebay going for $200 now with 48 10/100 ports and dual 1000sx ports.
It is a layer 3 switch. It's nice.

Hope that was helpfull.

-- Thomas