[rescue] Proposed new mailing list rules & guidelines

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jun 26 12:58:45 CDT 2004

Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> In light of the last "for sale" email, you might want to add something
> about excessive capitalization (or complete lack thereof) in the body
> of the email.  I don't want to restrict people from using an ASR-33 to
> post to the list, but I don't think most of the annoyingly/unreadably
> capitalized emails are due to uppercase-only terminals.

I think it first appeared in GECOS, but just about any modern system that
supports serial consoles (UNIX, LINUX. VMS? etc) recognises an attempt
to login in ALL CAPS and assumes that you really want to use translation
that forces the default to lower case anyway.

The irory of it is that ASCII ttys (28,33,35) had upper and lower case
characters, but the keyboard was backwards, unshifted characters were upper
case.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm at mendelson.com gsm at gwandt.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838