[rescue] Todays Rescue

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Wed Jun 23 21:14:44 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:31:37PM -0500, Steve Hatle wrote:
> Mmmmm - (new) old hardware is fun...<grin>
>
> I picked up some new toys today. An E3K, 2x250Mhz with 2GB RAM and 2x2GB,
> 2x4GB, and 4x9GB disks, QFE, wide/diff scsi; an SSA full of 4GB disks; an
> SSA full of 2 GB disks, and an SS5/170 with 192M RAM and a QFE.
>
> Cost to me was $180.00, plus I had to drive an hour on a gorgeous Midwestern
> afternoon with my honey to pick it up. Back strain was included at no extra
> cost <grin>
>
> Now I can have E3K bookending my desk... Time to go shopping for cheap proc
> boards/procs, power/cooling modules and the fiber to connect the SSA's to
> the E3K. If anyone has some of the above and wants to do some
> swapping/selling, let me know.

339MHz CPUs have gotten cheap -- I loaded up my E3500 with 8 of them.
Michael Thompson on this list had a few available, if he hasn't already
sold them.

I've got a pair of 501-4882 system boards, one just fine, and the other
one with some broken die-case chip-heatsink base-clips.  I've been told
that some sort of high-temperature expoxy is available as a resonable
solution.  It might also be possible to order replacements for the cracked
heatsink bases from ChipCoolers (http://www.chipcoolers.com), though I
haven't confirmed that.

I'm looking for cheap 9GB or 18GB FC drives, since the E3500 is set up for
FC disks.

Email me off list if interested in one or both system (CPU) boards.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)
voice: 215-591-3695