[rescue] Re: [geeks] ANYONE WANT A GMAIL ACCOUNT?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Jun 23 13:01:31 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:52:16PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:

>>> ANYONE WANT A KEYBOARD WITHOUT A CAPS LOCK KEY?
>>
>> Why?  Are you thinking of starting a company to make them?
>>
>> I'd like:
>> * No Caps Lock key
>> * Ctrl in the right place (where caps lock usually is)
>> * Esc in the right place (where ` is)

The store mentioned below can do that much.  Having used enough
keyboards w/o an ESC key in the past, I'm about as likely to hit ^[ as I
am to reach up with my pinky.

>> * Meta key (instead of Alt)

How about Meta instead of 'Windows'

Being a vi guy, I don't use meta anyways, so that key is pretty much
unused on my systems.

>> * Hyper and Super keys (instead of the windows keys, or whatever the
>>  icon is on the linux and mac keyboards).

Sorry, don't have that.

>> * A choice of clicky 4mm throw models and non clicky 2mm throw models.

These are just non-clicky.

>> * Make ( and ) not require a shift.
>> * make { and } not require a shift.
>> * [ and ] are allowed to require a shift.

xmodmap

Then again, xmodmap can move/swap the caps & ctrl too.

>> Anything else?  Anyone?
>
> I'm not the one to ask but these guys are:
>
> http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pfuca-store/

I've been using them ever since I tried them out in the lab at LISA '98.

Bought two of them, one for home and one for work.  People complain
about having to type on my keyboard, upset that it's too small, but the
keys really are full-sized, just none of the extra crud you don't need.
The new ones even have the inverted 'T' cursor keys, which were missing
on the model I've got.

It does discourage people from trying to use my system(s) though.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org