[rescue] Tektronix Phaser 840 plus

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Jun 19 10:16:54 CDT 2004

On Jun 18, 2004, at 2:22 AM, Thomas Gallaway wrote:

> It actually does the tearing sound when it exits. I might see if I can
> get a cleaning assembly as I heard that be4 that that could be my
> issue. They are like $200 isch I heard. I hope it's not the print
> head.

It's really easy to figure out if this is the problem.  Open the front
cover... slide out the maintenance drawer and look at the pins on the
sides that lift the cleaning oil roller.  If the pegs are not straight
across the bottom... get a new drawer... (Not necessarily a new roller
or sensor pair which are what come in the maint kit.)

> A service manual would be helpfull. If I took a picture of the magenta
> lines that are causing problem is there a way to find out from that if
> it's the printhead or the cleaning assembly. Some jets do actually
> work just partial but some have like a weird pattern to the failure.
> It is hard to describe but I'll take a picture tomorrow.
>
> -- Thomas

Tell me where to send one.  You probably want to do the take apart and
at least check your cap/wipe/purge unit for visible gasket damage.  If
your magenta jets aren't getting any better after cleaning, that'd be
the first suspect component.  The only problem is that if you get a new
one you MUST get one from Xerox or a Xerox repair center that orders
NEW parts from Xerox.  Every time we tried to do this repair using 3rd
party low cost vendors they just ripped a used part out of an old
printer and sent it (it was always damaged and useless - frequently
worse than the part that was being replaced).  Xerox sends a part that
has never been used.  You can probably spend the dough on a CWP
replacement... if doing this and doing a few clean cycles doesn't
restore the printer, don't bother fixing the print head.

Andrew