[rescue] EMC question (Pictures)

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Thu Jun 17 15:33:37 CDT 2004

> The big clunk of worthlessness just arrived:
> http://gallery.port11.net/EMC-Celerra
>
> Actually I picked it up. Cost me $200 in total. I guess it's worth for
> the parts (bunch of quad ethernets, about 1.5gb pc100 ECC ram and tonz
> of fc/al stuff).

My friend used to work with these, said early on they weren't that good of
an unit, but management was sold into it. I think it boots ms-dos on the
data movers, which then kick off another code set that do the tasks...

Said there was no benefit over having some hosts serve the data up via
NFS. They were having issues where a cascade failure would occour. One
would crash, then the load would shift, then crash then crash then the
whole thing would come falling down.

Just from what I remember, I don't know how much he remembers about em.

Very cool find though, they were astronomically expensive. EMC wines and
dines the managers tho.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460