[rescue] Tektronix Phaser 840 plus

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Jun 17 07:27:36 CDT 2004

James asked:

> > One good thing too is that the wax is way more
> > environmental than laserprinters.
>
> What would be toxic in toner? Black toner consists of carbon

   I think the OP is referring to the environmental impact of the rather
large plastic housing for the toner that gets swapped out each time it's
empty: not enough people recycle them.
   When I worked among a bleating  herd of Canon CLCs some years back,
we also went through quart-size containers of colored toner at a
surprising rate, and those went right into the trash (where an
workgroup, K-only laser printer has a unitary toner cart that gets
replasced). Still a waste.
   Aren't Phasers the line that IBM bought, where they give away the
printer if you sign a contract -- with minimum order levels -- to
purchase the consumables from them? If IBM figures it's a good deal to
give something away, you *know* you're getting the short, sharp end of
the deal.
   Why not look for a used Scitex IRIS printer?
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator