[rescue] Tektronix Phaser 840 plus

John Michael Bischoff biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu
Thu Jun 17 00:52:13 CDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:26:57PM -0400, The Renaissance Man wrote:
> > Yup.  My former-- employer bought one over much advice to the contrary.
> > It was a total piece of crap.  Six months later they were talking in
> > hushed tones about how they were payign fifty cents a page in
> > consumables to feed the damned thing, and I manfully bit my tongue and
> > refrained from saying "Well, I told you so."
> > >From saying it too loudly, anyway.
>
> A brand-new color laser printer cost $WORK less than what we paid in a
> year for CONSUMABLES for our Phaser.

In case you hadn't found out about this the hard way, the price break for
most modern printers is the first time you have to replace the
ink/wax/toner.  After that, it's cheaper to get a new printer than it is
to maintain the old one.  This does not bode well for rescuing these
printers: the labor of love that we all know and deal with rapidly becomes
a financial drain that literally sucks the resources from viable projects.