[rescue] U30 video slowness

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jun 3 03:50:47 CDT 2004

I've been starting to do more than tinker with my U30 since I moved
house and wanted to try out the 21" monitor now I have space to set it
up.

I installed Debian woody on it and am using the "correct" (i.e. not
fb) driver. But the display still feels like it's running on an
unaccelerated framebuffer. Mozilla on it will just sit and grind away
for 10s while rendering a page. The same Debian release on a PC runs
just fine. But it's not just Mozilla, dragging terminal windows is
sluggish too.

The PC is a 1.2GHz Athlon on a fairly good board, with 512MB of PC133
RAM, 7200RPM IDE disk (sustained transfer about 35MB/s) and TNT II
video.

The U30 has a 248MHz CPU, 256MB of RAM, some mystery 4GB SCA disk
(sustained transfer about 12MB/s) and Creator Graphics video.

Both machines mount /home from a third fileserver box, and the OS
install is similar. Naturally, with /home the same, I'm running the
same programs and window manager (with the exception of some stuff
that's binary-only x86 stuff, grr.)

Have I badly misconfigured something, or is this the sort of
performance I should expect from the U30?

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key