[rescue] 80 pin SCSI cables?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jun 2 19:52:44 CDT 2004

mrl declared on Wednesday 02 June 2004 06:26 pm:
> ... this ebay auction claims to have 80 pin SCSI cables. Is this
> possible? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of SCA was to put
> the power and SCSI ID selection on the backplane or drive tray... so
> how would a cable work?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11160&item=2767
>827270

Most SCA drives I've seen have also had jumpers to set the SCSI id.  It's
possible that you could use a cable like this one, and set the ID on the
drive, overriding (or combining somehow with) the ID set by the
backplane.  More of an issue, however, is figureing out how to mount the
drives, and being careful to not overload the cable since the power for
the drive runs over it as well.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/