[rescue] Solaris soon open source

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 16:22:31 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:36:42 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366
wrote:
> No, not SCO.
>
> Kodak, probably.  Adobe, probably.
>
> Sun bought a full, never-bug-us-again SVR4 license back when ATT or
> Novell owned the code.

It was probably USL they bought it from ... they got SVR4 and not
SVR4.2SMP which was pretty much around the time that USL got sold to
Novell. As to whether Sun can make the SVR4 code freely available
without legitimate noise from SCO ... I doubt it, as Sun bought a
*license* not the copyright. In fact there probably isn't much
difference to what Sun bought and what IBM bought.

Mind you I'm not a lawyer, and even if I was I'd be UK-orientated.