[rescue] Solaris soon open source

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 14:10:54 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:33:38 -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 June 2004 13:24, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> > "Sun Microsystems, one of the biggest names in the server world,
> > reported that the company will now make Solaris an open source
>
> This seems unlikely, especially after the news story yesterday (or
> maybe a few days ago) where Sun said that *hardware* was going to be
> free in the future.

Hardware is going to be free ? I'll have a Fire4800 with 3 CPU boards
with those funky new USIV's then.

> Also, Sun doesn't own all of the copyrights in
> Solaris; there's code in there copyright by other companies (most
> certainly including SCO) that won't want their code to be public.   So
> either Sun will have to rewrite those parts (unlikely) or this isn't
> really happening.  Of course, I wouldn't mind if it did happen...

Perhaps they believe something nasty will happen to SCO ? Or perhaps
that's wishful thinking on my part. I guess Sun could open source parts
of Solaris.

The rumour is that Sun are switching to using the SPARC64 rather than
the USV for post-2005 highend systems.