[rescue] Solaris soon open source

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jun 2 14:04:46 CDT 2004

Patrick Finnegan said ...
> On Wednesday 02 June 2004 13:44, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> > > This seems unlikely, especially after the news story yesterday (or
> > > maybe a few days ago) where Sun said that *hardware* was going to
> > > be free in the future.
> >
> > Sun said *HARDWARE* was going to be free...?!?
>
> Aparently "free with qualified software purchase."
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/01/1627236

Ummm, if the software is Open Source, I suppose they could still sell it;
Red Hat does that.  Might be tough to have enough margin in it to cover
hardware, though.

Of course, the hardware companies used to give away the OS with the
hardware.

But, I have to admit I'm getting confused about what Sun is doing.  So far,
they seem to have said...

	Switching to Linux
	Open-Sourcing Solaris
	Free hardware when you buy software

What I don't see in any of that is "making money."  I'd like for Sun to make
money (SGI, too) so they will stay around.

-Shel