[rescue] Solaris soon open source

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jun 2 13:33:38 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 13:24, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> Just fell over this news headline:
> http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/itcomputing/sun_002.php
>
> "Sun Microsystems, one of the biggest names in the server world,
> reported that the company will now make Solaris an open source
> project. Sun is not sure as to when the move of making Solaris open
> source will take place at this point."

This seems unlikely, especially after the news story yesterday (or maybe
a few days ago) where Sun said that *hardware* was going to be free in
the future.  Also, Sun doesn't own all of the copyrights in Solaris;
there's code in there copyright by other companies (most certainly
including SCO) that won't want their code to be public.   So either Sun
will have to rewrite those parts (unlikely) or this isn't really
happening.  Of course, I wouldn't mind if it did happen...

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org