[rescue] U10 IDE?

Matthew Braun rescue at leydenjar.com
Wed Jun 2 10:17:43 CDT 2004

> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:51:43 +0000
> From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] U10 IDE?
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>>

> IMHO, a modern version of Solaris and a modern IDE drive (like,
> something with a large cache, as much as 8 megs) should yield
> perfectly usable results for minimal investment. Good IDE drives can
> be had for as little as $.50/Gig if you are willing to wait for a
> decent sale at a PC retailer (CompUSA, Best Buy, etc.) *after rebate*
> (some folks have reasons not to nuy items based on rebates)...
>
> I think performance used to be horrid for IDE systems, but I think
> later revs of Solaris address that and get best performance possible
> from the IDE drives, given the HW on the MB.
>
> Before spending serious $$ on a SCSI controller & disks, think about
> selling the U10 base and getting something like a U2, U30 or U60 - all
> of which should be available in some form for under $200 (the U60
> would of course be a single proc. machine at that price)... E250s are
> nice and affordable too...

Ok, if I can get decent performance with an IDE drive (I don't need
screaming disk speeds, just useable) then I'll probably go for that.
Since /me = poor-masters-student-living-with-folks, up and buying
hardware is a painful proposition, so going for a U30 or U60 when I've
already got a U10 sitting at home isn't appropriate. I'll throw Sol9 on
there and be content. I was thinking about being perverse and trying to
run Solarisx86  on the Penguin... (actually, no, just WinXP so I can
fool around with DBDesigner and PowerDesigner).

Which brings me to the next topic: RAM! There's been talk about 3rd
party RAM being ok, and as I'm a cheap/poor bastard, I don't mind.
While I could blindly stalk the wild plains of ebay, are there any
resellers that anyone recommends?

--
Today, today, each day I have waited for you.
And now do they not say you are strewn with the shells of Ishi river?