[rescue] SGI Crimson boot sequence?

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Wed Jun 2 08:32:08 CDT 2004

Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

>> As I recall, the RM's are supposed to be lit up like a christmas tree
>>
>>with all but a few of the bottom LED's on during boot and system run.
>>You should be seeing red... lots of red.
>>

>  these LEDs on the VGX boardset look quite nice.
>
>  Now that you mention christmas tree that reminds me of a set of
>  pictures I took with just that in mind. I've put one of the better
>  pictures online:
>
>  http://www.tastensuppe.de/~gerhard/images/sgistuff/crimson/crimson-1300-running2.jpg
>
>  I was wondering if any of the IO board LEDs are on when the machine
>  is (coming) up. Looking at the picture I assume that none is and
>  that they are only flashing if there is activity on one of the buses
>  or IO devices attached (2x SCSI, Ethernet, System Bus).

As always, Gerhard, you are correct. Lots of lights on the VGX boards
including the GE6. IO3B blinks a bit then stays off.

I didn't trust my serial cable too much so I built a brand new one,
connected to the GM3 db9 and I got some output there, starting at:
NOTE: PROM checksum (0x513825)
all the way to
NOTE: end of PROM based diagnostics
GM PROM (Mon Jun 11 20:43:29 PDT 1990)
DONE

Yeah, I haven't set the time yet, cause I couldn't get to the console.

So, anyways, the diagnostic ran fine.

So I turned the Crimson off, connected the new serial cable to tty 1 and:

--------------
SGI Version 4.0.3 Rev  IP17,  Apr 30, 1992

Memory address pattern test from A0000000 to A0003000
Memory address pattern test from A0500000 to A05FFFFC
Sizing caches, clearing 4 Mbytes of memory.
Testing all UART's ports                        PASSED.
Timer/Clock                                     PASSED.
Floating Point Unit                             PASSED.
Sync Bus Controller                             PASSED.
I/O Mapper, INT Vectors, MODE Regs              PASSED.
SCSI Controller                                 PASSED.
System Bus                                      PASSED.
Data and Instruction Caches                     PASSED.
Full Memory Test                                PASSED.
Initialize local hardware
Clearing 128 Mbytes...0x80003000 - 0x80500000...0x80600000 -
0x88000000...DONE

System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option?
--------------

YAY!!!!!!
But bummer too... this Crimson was supposed to be 256MB VXGT and it
turned out 128MB VGX... The other box is 0MB VGX...

Alright, let's try hinv:

--------------
Option? 5
Command Monitor.  Type "exit" to return to the menu.
> > hinv
               SCSI CDROM: Controller 1, ID 6
                CPU board: IP17 75 MHZ
   Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
          Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
 Secondary I/D cache size:  1 Mbyte
              Memory size: 128 Mbytes
--------------

The PROM hinv is not as verbose as the IRIX hinv, is it.

Alright then, let's try to boot this sucker. Too bad I dont know how to
set the output to the monitor instead of the console. I'd like to make
sure the keyboard is working... "set output video"? Well, let's try
using the console for the install.

--------------
> > exit

System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option? 1

                             Starting the system...

               To perform system maintenance instead, press <Esc>
open(dksc(1,2,8)sash) failed, errno=5

Error: boot device not responding.
Unable to continue; press <enter> to return to the menu:
--------------

Hmmm.... Okay, maybe I need to go thru 2) to boot off the cdrom?

So I tried:

--------------
System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option? 2

                         Installing System Software...

                       Press <Esc> to return to the menu.

Insert the installation CD-ROM, then press <enter>:
Unable to open "dksc(1,2,8)" error = 5
Unable to continue; press <enter> to return to menu:
--------------

Same thing... So It seems like it doesn't like my Toshiba XM-3501, which
I tought were very SGI friendly... Does it have to be at a specific SCSI
id? Specific bay? It's currently residing in the top half height drive
bay. I tried both the 5.3 and 6.2 CDs, but I dont see activity on the
CDROM (altough I hear some seeking).

Getting closer. In fact it's a good thing I had this small victory last
night. Before I looked at the crimson again, I had decided I'd be
playing with the Challenge L and altough the power supply AC good led is
on, when I turn the key, nothing happens :O Argh. So now I have to track
down yet another problem.

So I was about ready to load all 3 desksides in my car and dump them in
the lake (not really, but man did it not look good at that point). And
then I made the new cable and finally I did get something going on the
Crimson. Altough, until I can use the keyboard and mouse and use it, it
ain't over.

Francois