[rescue] U10 IDE? (and possibly "NetApp home users")

Micah R L lassloc at hotpop.com
Tue Jun 1 17:22:44 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 09:36, Nathan Raymond wrote:

> Hmm, how do adapted IDE drives compare in performance to, say, 7200RPM
> 3.5" half height Seagate Barracuda drives, which in SCA (80 pin) form, go
> for $50 for the 50GB model (and can be adapted to 68 or 50 pin for about
> $5)?  Unless the IDE drives perform significantly better, or you need 1/3
> height mechanisms, why not use 50GB native SCSI drives?

What's the deal with those drives, anyway? Why are they so cheap? Do
they perform poorly, or something? Is there any reason *not* to go with
these drives any time I need an SCA drive for something? (I know that
they're not U320/15K or anything, but compared to other 7200RPM drives
are they much slower?)

I don't know a thing about NetApps, but could one use these drives in a
NetApp box somehow? (hence pertaining to the other discussion about
NetApps for "home use")