[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Jul 31 11:13:27 CDT 2004

Quoth Bill Bradford ...

> I'm all up on the "horsepower versus power consumed" thing lately for some
> reason...
>
> I mean, I like the lunchbox sparcs, they're cute, but for the same or less
> power and in the same or less amount of space, I'm building a 1Ghz Linux
> box (or maybe Solaris x86, if it will work with the onboard ethernet).

Well, yeah, but you're comparing current technology with 12-year-old
technology.  There aren't too many computing arenas in which the 12-year-old
technology is going to win out; MIPS/Watt certainly isn't going to be one.
MIPS/retail$ is another.

I like the lunchboxes for what they are ... amazing examples of the best
engineering of their day.

-Shel