[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jul 31 00:17:28 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:08:41AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >As much as I dislike the "lunchbox sparcs" nowdays,
> What's wrong with them?  The 'classic I have at home is more than fast
> enough to act as my firewall and DNS server.  Only when I put squid and
> AdZap on it did it start to crawl, but it's still fast enough as a
> gateway; it's just no fun to shell into.

I'm all up on the "horsepower versus power consumed" thing lately for some
reason...

I mean, I like the lunchbox sparcs, they're cute, but for the same or less
power and in the same or less amount of space, I'm building a 1Ghz Linux
box (or maybe Solaris x86, if it will work with the onboard ethernet).

I dont think i'll ever replace ohno.mrbill.net with a Linux machine,
however. :)  Having 4M L2 cache on each of four CPUs is just nice.

bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas