[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Fri Jul 30 10:46:33 CDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Zach Lowry wrote:

> I was looking at getting a Snap model 2100 on eBay and upgrading the
> drives in it. I noticed there is also a model 2000, but I can't find
> anywhere what the differences between the 2 models are, other than the
> drive capacity. Does anyone on the list have one of these or know more
> about them?

I can't answer that -- but I do have some bad experiences with a snap
server which is why it is being sold off and we're using a REAL
fileserver (we're using a 4000 series).

- Microsoft authentication is old & insecure.  Not even NTLMv2.

- no support of group ID bits, sticky bits.

- messes up file permissions all them time.

These things aren't ready for prime time. Maybe now that adaptec bought
them they'll get better, but not for a year or more.

JUNK