[rescue] w00t!

Steven Hill sjh at waroffice.net
Fri Jul 16 09:37:20 CDT 2004

>>> It's just like the dot-bomb auctions a few years ago.  Once upon a
>>> time, they were a good place to make a few good deals and get some
>>> gear for cheap.  Then the unwashed masses found out.
>>
>> Yeah, I blame the Statesman and local news for "pumping" the last
>> couple of big local dot-bomb auctions.  I still don't have an Aeron
>> chair, due to people who go to auctions and bid things up to retail.

The auctions in Austin were like that when I was there - people bidding
higher than retail on cisco gear - with me and a few others shouting
"List price!" from the back of the room. Ridiculous.

Also interesting kit being broken down by the auctioneers for profit.
A Tandem Himalaya system went, drives were removed and auctioned
separately. Probably was a working system when it was acquired by the
auction firm too. Bastards.

> I blame stupidity. Gave up on those aaron chairs. :-(.
>
> I now focus a bit more on .gov auctions. It seems like not everybody wants to
> bid on .gov stuff. Maybe there should be an rescue auction list with online
> auctions for rescuers? Or was there one be4 like this?

Yeah, I never managed to get one either - the professional furniture
acquiring people were always there.

Never been to a .gov auction before.

I might try to get to a .uk gov or polic auction - they sound
interesting.

--
Steven Hill

"If they threw a little Dell server on your desk, you'd be about as close to
delivering a reliable, scalable, usable Web service as if I threw a piston ring
on your table and said drive to Chicago"
                                 - Scott McNealy