[rescue] (rescued N440BX mobo) looking for your old PII or PIIIs

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sun Jan 25 21:37:08 CST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 11:53, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> I finally rescued an old Intel N440BX mobo and Adaptec 39160 (U160).
> It actually has console redirection out to the serial port, which is a
> very good thing.
>
> And it is on the Solaris/x86 HCL.
>
> But, it only has 1 PII-400, and can take up to 2 PIII-600s.

sounds like it only has the VRM's to power Katmai core CPUs.

However, there are a couple of options for pushing these higher...

1. Use Powerleap Slockets that have their own VRMs like the PL-iP3
   series.
2. Use slockets like the IWill Slocket 2 and pick processors that
   come within .1 V of the lowest the mainboard will support and
   then run the proces at .1V higher than their rating.

Either of these will allow you to use Coppermine CPUs to take
advantage of their 256K full speed cache rather than Katmai's 512K
half speed cache.

I have run a Celeron 800 and a PIII-933 using an IWill Slocket 2
(version 2) on boards that didn't support beyond Katmai 600 CPUs.

-- Curt