[rescue] Cluesticks (was Mounting and Dumping)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 15:58:38 CST 2004

--- Nick <nick at snowman.net> wrote:
> I really hate to be an asshole about this, but how much of the
> "Greater good" should we sacrifice for the individual?  How much
> are we bringing the folks with ASD up to the level of everyone
> else VS how much are we pushing down everyone else to put them
> on the level of those with ASD?

There was arecent article I read that discussed how "no one gets left
behind" is actually hurting the top performers in public schools, since
they are forced to spend money on bringing up the lower performers in
the school first, the first programs to get cut it seems are the "AP"
or other "advanced" courses. Net result, previously 'high achieving"
students are not challenged, and perform *worse* than average due to
lack of interest/stimulation...

> I currently consider the US school system next to worthless.   My
> understanding is it's gotten worse since I got out, and the only
> reason I gained anything from it is my own personal motivation &
> curiousity.

I find it hard to extrapolate positions about the entire "US School
system" from one person's personal experiences. I'm not diminishing
your position on your personal experience, just questioning if it
logically follows that the entire school system in the US is "next to
worthless" based on your exp.

> This whole "No child left behind" is a great theory, but some
> kids need to be left behind, and some need to retake grade X 4 times.

See above.

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall