[rescue] Elite3D Question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jan 20 07:40:31 CST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:17:54PM -0500, Nathan Raymond wrote:

> That being said, last week I bought a refurb retail GeForce FX 5900 for
> $165 because, well, it was $165, and its almost as fast as a Radeon 9800
> Pro which would have cost me $255 (for a new OEM part, so not quite
> apples to apples).  Nonetheless, I generally recommend ATI these days,
> though for the under-$200 price point the FX 5900SE is the sweet spot at
> $188.

Personally, I really like the looks of the currrent ATI offerings, but
the ease of just upgrading nvidia drivers rather than switching drivers
appeals to me.  I find mucking about with X drivers to be rather
intimidating.

Of course, when one of the companies fully supports their pixel shader
stuff on linux, I will probably find that compelling to switch to them
pretty quickly.