[rescue] Elite3D Question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jan 19 22:55:21 CST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Or JFS on AIX.  Interestingly, Freebsd 5.x does fsck in the background
> after bootup when required.  Not as robust as logging, but at least
> the machine comes up.  Of course I'm sure IBM would say you wouldn't
> want the machine up in that condition.

That mentality is why I giggle when people want to "verify" the RS/6000
and pSeries machines at work by running the offline diagnostics.
There's no explaining to them that the machine booted without errors,
and that implies that more diagnostics were run than is even -possible-
on many other machines.

Seriously, the BIST (analogous to POST on non-IBM machines) on at least
four of our machines comprises more machine instructions than are in the
entire AIX kernel.  If BIST says the machine's okay to bring up, it's
probably okay to bring up. :)

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and