[rescue] SGI rackmount computer case.... what SGI ?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Jan 19 10:46:33 CST 2004

On Jan 19, 2004, at 10:47 AM, Mike F wrote:

> The thing that jumps out at me is that it doesn't look like the chassis
> is made of stainless. It looks more like the thin, dull-grey mild steel
> PeeCee cases are made of. Aren't all SGIs made of stainless? What about
> the PeeCee-class stuff?  - Mike

As far as I remember, the 320 I was working on was stainless... The
front panel had lots of complex gears and such because the case is sort
of balloon shaped and the gears would allow for the press-in drive
cover panel to slowly float down when depressed.  Inside there were
specially designed baffles for the fan in the front, and the
motherboard does not come out on a tray like most generics are.  The
floppy was actually hard to work with because the other side of the
case was welded on not open like most PCs.

Andrew