[rescue] Union BashingRe: Cluesticks

Samuel Kopel kopel at vex.net
Sun Jan 18 19:17:39 CST 2004

warning this is a rant about Unions.

I have belonged to two unions one of them took a percentage of my minimum
wage and at one point stepped in and got the labor laws followed. That was
a waste of my nickle they barely did anything.

When I worked for the State University of New York, I was again forced to
join the union. However this time I have a very different experience. The
govenor was attempting to cut salaries instead of giving a cost of living
increase and wouldn't come to any sort of agreement for about 2 years. We
weren't allowed to strikedue to the Taylor laws. About a year into the
negotiations the contracts expired. The Govenor decided this meant he
could cut our health benefits. I am very glad that I had a union. in this
instance. Like many things Unions have the ability to do good and evil.

Samuel Kopel