[rescue] RS/6000 43p/140 Console Trouble

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jan 17 17:07:43 CST 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, James Jacocks wrote:

> I (finally) got a chance to try the above advice (I know, 2.5 months to
> type one line!).  However, on reset, the machine (after the boot
> splash) presents the familiar black screen with green cursor, and
> nothing else.  Now, though, the console connection no longer works.

Then you need to go into the System Manager (in the firmware) and reset
the console to something useful.  During startup, just after the video
initializes, the system will chirp.  Press 1 on the keyboard after the
word "Keyboard" appears on the screen and before the system chirps a
second time to enter the system manager.

Alternatively, you can probably reverse your changes in smit over a
telnet or ssh session into the system.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and