[rescue] Cluesticks (was Mounting and Dumping)

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat Jan 17 09:12:20 CST 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:40:18AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:01:22AM -0600, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> > Eighteen months ago the salaried staff at work were "asked" to take a
> > 10% pay cut.  The folks at the VP and C*O rank took a 15% pay cut.*
> > The amounts involved for the latter were negligible, but the morale
> > boost involved was not unsubstantial.
>
> Yay for them!  Though at many companies, the senior staff could probably
> afford to take a 30% pay cut under such conditions without feeling a
> pinch in their personal entertainment budgets.  (Aside from, say, having
> to buy the new Ferrari on a 12-month payment plan instead of paying
> cash.)

Not necessarily - a VP I worked for had over $50K in credit card debt
and was spending big bucks to build a $750K custom house(which in
suburban Philly is a pretty nice place).  She made over $100K a year,
and her husband was making over $200K per year.  Thank goodness she
wasn't the CFO!

The other thing is that getting higher pay is a way of keeping score.
Seen it among family - guy making a decent $45k / year doesn't rate
compared to his megabucks brother, even though $45k is just fine.

--P