[rescue] Catatonia in the SGI Indigo2

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Fri Jan 16 15:47:30 CST 2004

I'd second the suggestions below.  I have a number of
indigo2 systems, and have run into problems like this
before. My general approach is:

1) Take the system completely apart,
   i.e.  Remove:
                Peripherals (disks, CDROM)
                Power supply
                CPU Module
		    I/O boards
		    Riser Card
		    SIMMS

2) Thoroughly vacuum the system out (be especially
careful of static discharge when doing this, especially
in winter!). I have a static-safe computer-room vac that
I picked up for virtually nothing at a local (non-hamfest)
fleamarket.

3) check connectors for corrosion, dust, etc.
   and CAREFULLY re-seat everything.

4) I had one system which, after the above procedure, still
   died occasionally. I replaced all the SIMMS (72 Pin parity SIMMS
   aren't that difficult to find.) This seemed to fix the problem.

Note:
   SGI used to make a big stink about using gold-plated
   SIMMS in the Indigo2.  Over a long period of time, tin-plated
   SIMMS will adversely react (according to SGI) with the
   SIMM sockets used in the Indigo2.

Good Luck!!!