[rescue] Catatonia in the SGI Indigo2

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Fri Jan 16 09:51:50 CST 2004

    Sheldon> It hasn't done this while running Distributed Folding hour
    Sheldon> after hour, ...

I'm suspecting that is lots of CPU but little disk activity?

    Sheldon> ... but it did it several times while accepting SMB file
    Sheldon> transfers and FTP file transfers. ...

    Sheldon> ...  Just now, it crapped out while I was watching it burn
    Sheldon> a CD from some WAV files on the internal drive.

Based on this, I'd suspect the power supply.  It's hanging on the edge
most of the time, but when the load peaks it just can't handle it.

Of course if the dust issue brought by others is the case, then the
additional thermal load of the increased drive activity could be at
fault.  Do these machines have a thermal cut-out mechanism?  Double
check that all of the fans are running all of the time.

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator