[rescue] Cluesticks (was Mounting and Dumping)

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Thu Jan 15 18:43:03 CST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> A lot of early stuff, in all mechanical fields, contains amazing
> engineering.  As time goes on, though, they figure out how to "simplicate
> and add lightness", reduce the parts count, and reduce the cost of
> production.

Frankly, the TU78 was just a better drive in many ways.  It was easier to
service, and the loading was more reliable.  That said, it was a beast.

> And they are insanely cheap.  You know what disk storage used to cost?  Why,
> when I were nobbut a lad....

I have some contacts who work within Seagate.  To hear them talk, the
margins are so thin you can see through them.

> I expect it's been a collector's item for some years, actually.  As is the
> tape drive you'd need to read it.

Not really, it's 1600bpi 9-track if memory serves.  You can buy brand new
drives that will read that format.

-Janet