[rescue] Mounting and Dumping

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jan 15 13:06:22 CST 2004

On Jan 15, 2004, at 1:41 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> Couldn't the feature he talked about be built into the file system?

I think that's what I was going for, a nice evolution towards journaled
and database (ala Be) style hybrid filesystems in the future.  One
should be able to click a few buttons or run a command line backup that
is so complete and thoroughly checked that one merely has to stick the
media in and boot from it to get a perfectly restored system.  It
should work anytime and anywhere (normal precautions notwithstanding
like doing it during off-hours in order to keep full speed processing
happening during the day).

Ideally it should also be capable of producing bootable CD-R's or
DVD-R's.  These would only stop to ask where to stop (i.e. how many
transaction logs or what point in time to back up to)

--> Wishful thinking...

Andrew