[rescue] Mounting and Dumping

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jan 15 12:46:55 CST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> I guess I was recommending that it A. happen in the future,

Ehh...not on Unix.  At least, not in software, and certainly not in
userland.

> or B. they design future hardware with the ability to programmatically
> redirect the stream in hardware to a new device on the fly.

The StorageTek RAID controller we have on our Unix boxes here can do
that.

> I.e. the OS still sees the same disk as mounted and writeable [sort of
> an on-the-fly bastardization of RAID 1] but the controller knows what
> it's doing and the special software would hook into that for
> backup/restore/repair.

This is what fssnap does.  It essentially sets a checkpoint in the UFS
journal.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and