[rescue] Danger Color Sidekick -or- Nokia 3300 ?

Brooke Gravitt brooke at gravitt.org
Wed Jan 14 14:47:49 CST 2004

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Dan Duncan wrote:

> I got my P800 new in box for $375 shipped, no contract.  I was
> installing new apps that very night until I filled up the included and
> REMOVABLE 16MB memorystick duo.  (Like Sony is going to use anything
> else)  I now have a 128MB MSD and loads of useful apps.

Where did you get it? Which networks will it work on? I'm assuming only
AT&T and Cingular.

> My B&W sidekick cost me something like $300 when I got it over a
> year ago and it looks like a color sidekick for my wife is going
> to cost $200 after rebate with a 1 year contract.

I'm looking at $99 (After rebates) from LetsTalk with a contract.

> AT&T wants a pile of money for their GPRS data plans.

FSCK! I like the fact that with the SideKick, unlimited data is $20.

> You can't use the sidekick as a modem.  You can't connect it to
> anything except Danger.  The USB port and infrared port are disabled in
> the OS.

That's a pity. Dave has a good opinion on it, though, and that means that
it can't blow completely.

> As for T-Mobile's customer service:  It blows.  Lots. The tower
> near my house has this recurring problem where it stops offering GPRS
> <....>

Well, Sprint has a similar issue near my house. I can't get service in
some rooms!

In conclusion: Wireless sucks. I can't get the phone I want, with the
features I want, on the network I want.

Is it too much to ask to get a BlueTooth phone, with unlimited Internet,
and a reasonable amount of minutes? The folks at AT&T won't sell me more
family minutes than 1600. I asked if I could pay extra for more minutes.
Nope!

I can't use the Nokia 3300 on T-Mobile, only Cingular & AT&T. The N-Gage
is ONLY available with an 80-minutes per month plan, and ONLY on AT&T.
WHY? I would gladly PAY to have 1600 minutes, and even SIGN A CONRACT to
get that phone. They just won't take my money.

Feh. Maybe I don't need a cell phone at all. LAst year, I tried to get a
reasonable plan with Sprint's CF2031 compact flash voice/data card. NO ONE
would sell me a voice plan with it.

--Brooke